Join us for a benefit night featuring the premier of My Wife’s Ass!
Wednesday November 16, 2011
109 Boerum Pl. Brooklyn, NY
The people WANT MORE ASS and we are giving you more! Much much more!
More than a subway seat can contain!
More than Weight Watchers has points for!
More than street harassment knows what to make of!
More than the countless chairs we’ve broken!
More than the news is willing to put a head on!
But you, we want you to do more than the MTA or ABC. We want you to take on My Wife’s Ass!
Join us for a benefit night of performance excerpts from My Wife’s Ass, a ground breaking theater work in progress by collaborators Hana Malia and Glenn Marla, and an amazing lineup of guest openers featuring:
– The comedic burlesque stylings of Fancy Feast.
– Spoken word by Tehila Wise.
– Everything you should know but never did about POOP brought to you by Shawn Shaffner. (http://www.thepoopproject.org/)
My Wife’s Ass is a full-length theater piece in the early development stages based in values of body liberation and the need to produce fat narrative and performance in a world intent on dehumanizing and shaming fat bodies, fat sexuality, and fat imagination into silence. In a tale of the bravery and imagination required to fall into fat love, My Wife’s Ass explores agency over and fear of the fat queer body, the “headless fatty,” unabashed consumption, “fat panic,” the backlash against gender non-conformity, and how the “war on obesity” is experienced at street level.
While it is a newly birthed project, just now taking its first steps, your support is crucial to help continue moving it forward! Funds raised at this event will go toward pre-production costs including publicity(photos, web presence, etc.), rehearsal/workshop space rental, and hopes for future work with a director, and props/sound designer.
SUGGESTED SLIDING SCALE admission: $7-$15 (No one turned away, Pay What You Can! We just want your faces there!)
– Wildly deluxe RAFFLE PRIZES from The Pleasure Chest NYC (http://www.thepleasurechest.com/) and Re/Dress NYC (http://www.redressnyc.com/)
– Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase.
– Re/Dress NYC is a fully wheelchair accessible space and ample seating will be provided for the performance. Please contact us with any question or concerns about accessibility.
Photograph by Syd London